Wednesday, August 21, 2013

8/21/13

Dear friends, it is tonight that I blog bad news!  Yup, I jinxed myself into staying a little longer.  I really don't want to relive this anymore than I have to, so this is gonna be short.  The routine chest X-ray at 4am showed a suspicious diaphragm so they scheduled a follow up ultrasound, just to be safe.  The good news is that my diaphragm checked out but I've accumulated a moderate amount of fluid on my right lung.  In the grand scheme of things this isn't that big of a deal, nor uncommon, I whipped pleural effusion on a previous surgery and I'll do it again!  This does however put a damper on my going home plans.  To help combat this, they put in a big bore IV in my left gun (bicep) that they can push meds through and hopefully draw off of.  In theory, the IV should cut down on the amount of needle sticks, which is a whole nother story but we won't go there.  The plan is to push lasix through the IV to get rid of the fluid on my lung more rapidly while adding some electrolytes (sodium, potassium, etc) so I don't get too dehydrated.  As disappointing as this is with my travel plans, I sure am glad we found this now rather than getting home and having a problem.  
They will repeat the chest X-ray and lab draws in the subsequent mornings to monitor my progress.  It has been an emotional day for all of us and the wind's kinda been knocked outta our sails, but tomorrow is a new day - it's hard to keep a good woman down!  I appreciate your continued thoughts and prayers as I pray that all of you and your families are well!  Good night, God bless, Love, Kaylee

No comments:

Post a Comment